Saturday, June 5, 2010

Guessing the Cal League All Star Team

As far as I can tell, the actual roster hasn't been released for June 22nd's California v. Carolina League All Star Game at Myrtle Beach. I'll try and guess what the roster might look like. Last year's team had 10 pitchers and 13 position players, so I'll follow that model for my guesses. I'm not positive that every team has to be represented, but all 10 teams had at least one player on the roster last year, so I'll make sure everyone is included here too. I'm only including players that are playing in the Cal League at the time I'm writing this.

Pitchers
SP Anthony Bass, Lake Elsinore
RP Brad Brach, Lake Elsinore
SP Tyler Chatwood, Rancho Cucamonga
SP Justin Fitzgerald, San Jose
SP Ethan Hollingsworth, Modesto
SP Kenn Kasparek, High Desert
SP Aaron Miller, Inland Empire
SP Eric Surkamp, San Jose
SP Craig Westcott, San Jose
RP Bryan Woodall, Visalia

Lineup
C Jordan Pacheco, Modesto
1B Brandon Belt, San Jose
SS Drew Cumberland, Lake Elsinore
3B Jimmy Cesario, Modesto
LF Dan Robertson, Lake Elsinore
CF Blake Tekotte, Lake Elsinore
RF Kyle Russell, Inland Empire
DH Stephen Parker, Stockton
C Jose Felix, Bakersfield
2B Albert Cartwright, Lancaster
SS Thomas Field, Modesto
OF Juan Perez, San Jose

I included two relievers since there were two on last year's roster. Brach is the league's saves leader, and Woodall has been untouchable this season. There were a bunch of good starters that I had to leave off. Nate Eovaldi, Erik Davis, Wade Miley and Andrew Carraway are among the guys that are having good years that I had to leave off. Eric Surkamp is struggling, but I gave him the nod over some of those guys because of his recent CGSHO, strikeouts and prospect status. San Jose's rotation is well represented with three starters, and Eric Stolp is another guy having a great year. I think I'd let Ethan Hollingsworth start the game.

There were a lot of tough calls for the position players. In the OF, I tried to include one LF, one CF and one RF to keep guys playing the positions they have all year. Tekotte and Russell would make it anyway, but Dan Robertson probably isn't the best OF candidate, not that he's not having a good season. The middle infield position is very deep this year, and a number of good hitters had to be left off, notably Alexi Amarista of Rancho Cucamonga. Stephen Parker and Albert Cartwright are the lone representatives for Stockton and Lancaster, but both players still deserve to be there. Backup catcher was a bit tough. I chose Felix because of his great defense, and it's not like his offense has been that much worse than some other catching candidates.

Once the actual roster is released which should be coming very soon, of course I'll have analysis here.

No comments:

Post a Comment